Vermillion, Minnesota is a small town in the southeastern corner of the state, located along the Mississippi River. Its population is estimated to be around 500 people. The geography of Vermillion is mostly flat and low-lying, with some hills in the area. The climate is generally mild and pleasant, with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Vermillion dates back to 1854 when it was first settled by Norwegian immigrants. Since then, Vermillion has grown into a small but vibrant community. It was incorporated as a village in 1881 and became a city in 1908.
Politics in Vermillion are largely centered around local issues such as taxes and infrastructure projects. The city has a mayor-council form of government with five elected council members representing each ward of the city.
The economy of Vermillion is largely based on agriculture and tourism, which bring in much needed revenue for the city’s budget. There are also several small businesses that provide goods and services to local residents and visitors alike.
Vermillion has two schools: an elementary school for grades K-5 and a high school for grades 6-12. Both schools offer a variety of courses to meet the needs of their students while also preparing them for college or other post-secondary opportunities after graduation.
There are several landmarks in Vermillion that draw visitors from all over the state including the Old Stone Church, built in 1861; Fort Snelling State Park; St. Paul’s Lutheran Church; and the Mississippi River Trail, which runs through town providing stunning views of the river valley below it. In addition, there are several festivals held throughout the year that bring people from near and far to experience all that Vermillion has to offer!
Population: 437. Estimated population in July 2020: 421 (-3.7% change)
Males: 223 (51.0%), Females: 214 (49.0%)
Zip code: 55085
Median resident age: 36.1 years
Median household income: $61,667
Median house value: $123,600
Races in Vermillion:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.3%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (71.2%), Irish (11.7%), Norwegian (10.3%), Swedish (8.5%), Polish (5.3%), English (3.9%).
Elevation: 840 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Vermillion, Minnesota is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. It has a population of just over 2,000 people and is known for its rural charm. The cost of living in Vermillion is relatively low; it has an average housing cost of $213,000, which is much lower than many other parts of Minnesota. The median household income for Vermillion is $44,500, slightly lower than the national average. Despite the lower cost of living in Vermillion, there are still plenty of opportunities for leisure activities. The town offers numerous parks and trails to explore as well as a variety of shops and restaurants to enjoy. In addition to these amenities, Vermillion also has a local library and community center that host events throughout the year. The town prides itself on being a safe and friendly place to live with low crime rates and plenty of volunteer opportunities available to residents. With its affordable housing costs and abundance of leisure activities, it’s no surprise that many people choose to call Vermillion home.
For population 25 years and over in Vermillion
- High school or higher: 84.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 0.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Vermillion city
- Never married: 23.6%
- Now married: 63.3%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 6.7%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -73 (-14.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Vermillion:
- REGINA MEDICAL COMPLEX (about 9 miles; HASTINGS, MN)
- CANNON FALLS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; CANNON FALLS, MN)
- HEALTHEAST WOODWINDS HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; WOODBURY, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Vermillion:
- MINNEAPOLIS-ST PAUL INTL/WOLD-CHAMBERLAIN/ (about 22 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Abbreviation: MSP)
- ROCHESTER INTERNATIONAL (about 63 miles; ROCHESTER, MN; Abbreviation: RST)
- ST CLOUD REGIONAL (about 96 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Abbreviation: STC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Vermillion:
- WIPLINE (about 9 miles; INVER GROVE HGTS, MN; Abbreviation: 09Y)
- SOUTH ST PAUL MUNI-RICHARD E FLEMING FLD (about 13 miles; SOUTH ST PAUL, MN; Abbreviation: SGS)
- STANTON AIRFIELD (about 15 miles; STANTON, MN; Abbreviation: SYN)
According to andyeducation, Minnesota has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Vermillion:
- INVER HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; INVER GROVE HEIGHTS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,475)
- BROWN INSTITUTE LTD (about 19 miles; MENDOTA HEIGHTS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,171)
- SAINT OLAF COLLEGE (about 21 miles; NORTHFIELD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,968)
- ST PAUL TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 21 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- METROPOLITAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,171)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 23 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 7,652)
- COLLEGE OF SAINT CATHERINE-SAINT PAUL CAMPUS (about 23 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,492)
Private primary/middle school in Vermillion:
- ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SCHOOL (Students: 84; Location: 111 MAIN ST WEST; Grades: PK – 5)