Deary is a small city in Latah County, Idaho. It has a population of just over 500 people, making it one of the smallest cities in the state. Geographically, Deary is situated on the Palouse Hills, which are rolling hills of wheat and barley fields that stretch across parts of Idaho and Washington. The climate in Deary is semi-arid with hot summers and cold winters. Check whicheverhealth for information about Arimo, Idaho.
The history of Deary dates back to 1884 when two brothers, Henry and William Deary, settled in the area to farm. The original settlement was originally called “Mud Springs” but was later changed to honor the brothers. In 1909, a post office was established and the name was officially changed to “Deary”.
Politically, Deary is run by a mayor-council form of government. The current mayor is George Miller who has been in office since 2013. The economy of Deary relies mainly on agriculture with farming being the main industry. There are also some small businesses located in town including restaurants and retail stores.
Schools in Deary include an elementary school, middle school, and high school all run by the joint district with nearby towns Potlatch and Princeton. There are also several private schools located nearby including St John’s Catholic School and Moscow Christian Academy which serve as alternatives for families looking for private education options for their children.
Landmarks in Deary include the historic William & Henry’s General Store which opened its doors back in 1889; one of Idaho’s oldest operating general stores! Another landmark is Mud Springs Park which is a popular spot for locals to visit during warmer months due to its large pond stocked with fish as well as camping spots for overnight visitors!
Population: 552. Estimated population in July 2020: 515 (-6.7% change)
Males: 272 (49.3%), Females: 280 (50.7%)
Zip code: 83823
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $36,167
Median house value: $89,600
Races in Deary:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.2%)
- Hispanic (3.4%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
- American Indian (1.8%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (23.2%), Irish (20.1%), English (11.4%), Swedish (10.7%), Norwegian (7.6%), Scotch-Irish (5.6%).
Elevation: 2860 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Deary, Idaho is a small rural town located in Latah County in the northern part of the state. It has a population of around 600 people and is known for its farming community. The town has a few businesses including a grocery store, hardware store, and post office. Most of the population is either involved in farming or works in nearby towns. The median household income is around $43,000 and the cost of living is relatively low compared to other parts of Idaho. The median home value is approximately $150,000 and most homes are single family dwellings. Rentals are also available in the area at reasonable prices. The town also offers plenty of outdoor recreation activities such as camping, hiking, fishing, and hunting. There are also several local parks and trails available for visitors to explore. For those looking to experience small-town life while still having access to big city amenities, Deary may be an ideal place to call home.
For population 25 years and over in Deary
- High school or higher: 81.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 13.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 41.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Deary city
- Never married: 28.5%
- Now married: 54.2%
- Separated: 0.2%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 12.1%
1.1% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -30 (-5.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Deary:
- GRITMAN MEDICAL CENTER (about 30 miles; MOSCOW, ID)
- BENEWAH COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; SAINT MARIES, ID)
- CLEARWATER VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; OROFINO, ID)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Deary:
- PULLMAN/MOSCOW REGIONAL (about 38 miles; PULLMAN/MOSCOW,ID, WA; Abbreviation: PUW)
- LEWISTON-NEZ PERCE COUNTY (about 43 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Abbreviation: LWS)
- COEUR D’ALENE AIR TERM (about 69 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Abbreviation: COE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Deary:
- OROFINO MUNI (about 30 miles; OROFINO, ID; Abbreviation: S68)
- ST MARIES MUNI (about 36 miles; ST MARIES, ID; Abbreviation: S72)
- CRAIGMONT MUNI (about 40 miles; CRAIGMONT, ID; Abbreviation: S89)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Deary:
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 10 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
- LEWIS-CLARK STATE COLLEGE (about 41 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,213)
- NORTH IDAHO COLLEGE (about 62 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,988)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 76 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
- SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 83 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)
- GONZAGA UNIVERSITY (about 85 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,860)
- EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 86 miles; CHENEY, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,852)
Public primary/middle school in Deary:
- DEARY SCHOOL (Students: 203; Location: 502 1ST STREET; Grades: 04 – 12)